Correction of bite anomalies with braces implies thorough daily care of teeth and structures. The clasps attached to the teeth promote the spread of food particles, therefore it is recommended to brush after each meal. It is important to know how to properly brush your teeth with braces to reduce the risk of tooth decay. For this, special devices are used.
It should be remembered that carious lesions and any other infections in the oral cavity during treatment with braces reduce the effectiveness and speed of bite correction. Often, orthodontic treatment has to be suspended to eliminate the infection. Therefore, it is best to prevent the problem with proper dental care.
How to properly brush your teeth with braces – basic methods
There are several methods. Each of them has its own disadvantages and advantages. Several techniques can be combined to achieve better cleansing. What kind of paste to brush your teeth with braces installed can only be recommended by your attending dentist. Often used are tooth enamel-strengthening pastes with a high fluoride content.
Orthodontic toothbrush (V-shaped)
A toothbrush specially designed for braces (monobuch toothbrush) has a recess in the center, hence the name V-shaped. Suitable for cleaning all surfaces of the teeth, it is able to capture most of the orthodontic apparatus. It is better to purchase a design with soft bristles so as not to injure the gums. Since you need to brush your teeth several times a day, you need to remember to change it periodically.
A special small brush with one tufts, which is suitable for the treatment of distant teeth and the anterior surface of locks. With its help, you can get to hard-to-reach places. Each tooth is cleaned separately and thoroughly. Changes monthly. There are no special recommendations for using a monobunched brush, just clean gently, do not press hard.
For daily dental care with braces, it is recommended to use special brushes. They are suitable for cleaning the tooth surface under arcs, where brushes cannot reach. An important rule of thumb when cleaning braces with a brush is to be careful. Do not pull the arc forcefully so as not to damage its fixation. It is better to take not one brush, but a whole set. They need to be changed monthly, and sometimes more often. Not the most convenient way, but very effective.
Dental floss is perfect for cleaning braces in the field of writing. The classic is not suitable for patients. Since brushing teeth with braces with a floss with ordinary ends is inconvenient, you need to take a special thread with a hard end – superfloss. This design allows you to easily pass it under the details of the bracket system. With its help, get rid of food debris between the teeth and around the locks. It is not recommended to make excessively fast movements or strong pressure, so as not to injure the gums.
The irrigator is a very effective device for daily cleaning of teeth with braces. It looks like an electric toothbrush, but instead of bristles it has a special nozzle through which a strong stream of water is supplied.
Ordinary drinking water is perfect for filling the irrigator, as long as it is at room temperature. You can also use a special dental balm (they are often recommended by dentists).
The irrigator must be held so that its jet is at a right or almost right angle to the surface of the teeth to be cleaned. This will maximize the effectiveness of the procedure. Do not be afraid if at first the spray will fly in all directions, over time you will definitely master the cleaning technique.
It is recommended that you use an irrigator every time you brush your teeth with a toothbrush. Even if you manage to use the irrigator only once a day, it is already better than not using at all.
Stages of brushing teeth with braces
To clean your teeth, in addition to morning and evening care, you need to after each meal. Braces are one of the risk factors for the development of tooth decay, so careful maintenance is extremely important. On average, the cleansing process takes 10 minutes.
The algorithm for brushing teeth with braces at home is as follows:
- After eating, the teeth and the front of the braces are cleaned with a toothbrush. Movement is shown by the dentist after the installation of braces, when he gives recommendations for care.
- The space under the arches and between the teeth is cleaned with a brush and superfloss.
- Then the irrigator is used.
- The last stage involves the use of a mouthwash, which will also help the orthodontist.
In addition to home care, patients need to periodically undergo professional dental cleaning with braces. It is done every 3-6 months to minimize the risk of developing caries under the locks and arch.
Cleaning methods not recommended
Proper care in the process of orthodontic braces correction is very important. It is necessary not only to fully clean the surface of the teeth from plaque, but also to ensure that the structure is not damaged. Therefore, some popular habits should be abandoned:
- Toothpicks. Dentists do not recommend hard wooden sticks with sharp ends even for people without orthodontic structures. They can damage the enamel and injure the gums. The use of toothpicks during treatment can lead to rupture of ligatures, debris getting stuck in the locks.
- Refreshing with chewing gum. Chewing gum is absolutely contraindicated for people with braces. She gets stuck in the locks. In addition, gum is still not enough to fully clean your teeth.
- Whitening. Neither home nor professional teeth whitening techniques are used during treatment with braces. The structures are attached to the teeth with glue. No paste or solution will penetrate under the locks, so after removing the system, ugly stains will remain on the enamel.
- Electric toothbrush. Many patients wonder if braces can be cleaned with an electric brush. If doctors recommend such designs for routine care, then for patients during orthodontic treatment it is better to refuse electric cleaning. Due to the high rotation speed, the risk of damage to the locks and the braces themselves increases.
You need to remember the general rules for wearing designs. It is recommended to avoid foods that are too hard or sticky to your teeth. Limit sweets in your diet, drink enough water. The orthodontist gives each patient detailed individual recommendations, which should be followed exactly. Also, for a safe and effective treatment with braces, you must not skip appointments with your doctor.
We hope with our article on MY-DENTISTRY you will learn how to brush your teeth correctly!